Prior to the incorporation of the town of Harpswell in 1758, Lookout Point in Harpswell was once a prime fishing spot for the Abenaki Indians. Upon first glance, it is not hard to see why.
In 1761, the Curtis family constructed the Lookout Point House as a cookhouse to service their ship building operation located in the cove across the road. Now home to Allen’s Seafood, a well-known, local lobster pound, the home continued to service shipyard workers for well over the next 100 years. The bell that sits high above the inn, installed before the Civil War, has remained as a reminder of those days and its chimes allow guests to enjoy a very small piece of history.
Like many of the 17 other Harpswell shipyards, the Curtis family focused on schooners, merchant vessels that sailed the world. Back then they averaged about one ship per year and by the mid 1800’s they were up to four vessels per year. Throughout the War of 1812 and our own Civil War, they continued to provide much needed vessels to support our country. Though ship building on Lookout Point ceased sometime around 1880, standing on the front porch it does not take a lot of effort to imagine the history.
Originally named the Lookout Point House, the inn began operating during the Gilded Age in America (late 1800’s). Before long, there were somewhere around 60 inns operating in and around the Brunswick area. Most all of these inns have perished, casualties of deterioration and modernization. Although numerous improvements have been made to the Harpswell Inn over the years, the core building remains much the same. Thankfully the Harpswell Inn has withstood the test of time.